Thursday 15 September 2011

running mates

Ironic really that I should be posting about running right after posting about s-l-o-w-i-n-g down but I guess that's life- fast and slow thrown in the blender and wizzed around. This morning on my run, though not the first time I've enjoyed a d&m or debrief with a friend while running, was a good one. I've spoken about the phenomenal ease with which you can share stories, catch up, vent or muse while running before- it's easy even to share personal, emotional stories- issues which may be difficult to talk about with even your closest friends are opened up and fair fodder for discussion whilst running.
I'm not sure what it is about setting off on a run that brings down barriers- exhaustion? The sharing of a mutual bond, forged in challenging kilometres? I first saw this running/d&m phenomenon articulated by Kirsten Armstrong on her blog. This evening I read about it again in the latest issue of runners world magazine.
Of course I don't always feel like running and delving to the depths of my emotions at the same time- some times the best running partner is simply my smiling red dog (see above!). I'm so grateful though that some of my very best friends are ones I can share kilometres with. This isn't a coincidence- I've also noticed that people I start running with become friends a lot quicker than the relationship would develop if we were non runners... The sharing of life stories and opening up that occurs whilst distracted by the pain of a run (and the distraction from pain through talking about these same stories!) I'm sure is responsible. On a day that's dedicated to checking in with mates- and strangers- to see if they 'r ok?' this post is dedicated to my running mates. The ones who I run with here and now in Brisbane. The ones who I have run with, who might not be geographically here but who i often carry in my thoughts as I run... thankyou all for inspiring me, for motivating me and for keeping me ok. L. X

No comments:

Post a Comment